Arrive at the train station early. Though the train runs on “train time”, you will want to ensure your ride and seat. Train tickets are sold by dates and destinations, so missing a ride costs a fine.
There is a restaurant car, and occasionally a bar car.
- Los Mochis: Initially, a sugar cane town in northern Sinaloa. The Chepe train leaves at 6:00 am. Topolobambo port has a ferry service to La Paz, BCS, near the beach. Los Mochis also has an airport for domestic flights. The town is a small city with a business center based downtown. Duck and Dove hunting are popular outdoor activities here.
- El Fuerte: Charming gateway to the Copper Canyon, a “Pueblo Magico” town. Historically, it is known for silver deposits. The Rio Fuerte flows nearby the town center, and abundant in bird and animal life. There is a Mayo Village and a series od damns outside of town.
- Bahuchivo Station: Welcome to the wilderness! Among Ponderosa Pines at an altitude of 1800 meters, or 1.1 mile high. Take a dirt road, about 30-45 minutes away to the hotel. It’s a bumpy road. There are hotels in historical Cerocahui, and near the Gallego Mountain, overlooking Urique Canyon. Urique is the deepest gorge in the canyons. Waterfalls and horseback riding are popular outdoor activities. Visit the Mission de San Fransisco, Tarahumaran girls school and wine tour.
- Posada Barrancas: “the eye of the canyon”, is the highest elevation of the Copper Canyon 1.49 miles high, or 2400 meters. The hotels have rim top views, or valley view rooms. Copper Canyon Adventure Park is about five minutes away by shuttle. The views od the canyons are incredible and humbling. For the adventurer, there are a ton of activities.
- Creel: A “Pueblo Magico” town of the Sierra Tarahumara . Subsiquently, a hub for the Tarahumara community, and close town center to the Chepe train station. Points of interest include; Lake Arareko, Cusarare Falls, Basaseachi Falls, Valley of Mushrooms, Monks and Frogs, La Bufa and the road to Batopilas.
- Chihuahua: A busy capital city of Chihuahua. Points of interest include; Quinta Gameros House, the Metropolitan Cathedral of Chihuahua, museums, and Nombre de Dios caverns,